Wednesday, April 24, 2013

this is a white flag and my back to you


You don’t want to come after me
because I see right through you
because I was you;
ignorant to despair
stranded from self.

I’m not trying to say I’m better than you,
just in a different place.
As far as I see it,
you have nothing on me
I deem of importance.
You haven’t stumbled on the realization
that there is more than fame and men,
there’s more than attacking other women
and calling them ‘bitches’.
Don’t you know?
You’re perpetuating their rape culture jargon,
you’re selfish self indulgence is a distraction.
Did no one ever tell you?
Bringing others down doesn’t get you higher
only wanting more;
more vengeance,
more war
to feed the greed-
you’re a capitalist
and you support their tyranny.

So this is to you and anyone else who thinks I still hold a grudge:
I’ve got two fists full of half poems
and no capacity for your petty posturing.
I won’t let retribution run me.
I won’t let anger stunt me.
I’ve burdened my own bitterness like an inner sickness.
And I saw what bitterness did to him,
watched him for three years drag it like a gangrene limb.
So if I have anything to say to you,
it won’t be anonymously-
you will know.
I’ll put it in a poem for you
to recite nightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.